Sunday, August 26, 2007

Where do you get these ideas? Hmmm??

Tonight I'm inspired to talk about inspiration! I've tried to analyze how I come up with ideas, and there isn't a pattern. At times I find new designs upon waking, sometimes from nature or photographs of nature, and some come from who knows where. But the point is that I use whatever comes into my brain -- no, not everything is gold -- but the ideas are MINE.



There are weeks when I don't make art, but rather allow ideas, or inklings of ideas, to percolate. When it is time, I know it, and I head for my workspace. Right now I work at an antique English pub table in a corner of our (big) bedroom. Eventually I hope to have a dedicated space, but this is fine for now. My table has, from left to right, a stack of file baskets, mail baskets, iMac desktop computer and keyboard, lamp, scanner, and Mac Powerbook. On a stand to my right is my Canon i9100 photo printer, and behind me are a shelf and an armoire loaded to the gills with all my "stuff". My collections are in envelopes and boxes and files, and all my papers are stacked up and waiting. My cameras are nearby for uploading photos, and I'm surrounded by inspiration.

Oh yes, I should tell you about the latest addition to my inspiration collection -- a stack of WWII era letters I bought on eBay. I will read them and scan some of them for ideas OR to use for backgrounds. I know I have some photos that would layer well with these! I also know that the stamps and postmarks on some of the envelopes will make striking accents for these new art pieces.

Off to collect more ideas...goodnight from the studio of the Island Queen. Here's to new ideas every day!

Lynda

No comments: