Sunday, August 5, 2007

The beginning - Nana's book



When my mother gave me this book, she said herself she didn't know what I'd do with it, or if I'd even want it. I had been devouring all the art and books of Nick Bantock, and finally I realized that something I had said a couple of years earlier was coming to pass. I had looked at all the antique letters and books I collected, and had said, "You know, someday I will know what all of this is for, and it will all make sense to me!" Well...I opened that book, and had my answer.

Every page tells a story. I poured over this book, carefully lifting and turning pages, because they were brittle. I found enough material to use forever!

After seeing it all, I was overwhelmed. I began scanning pages, but also considering what pages were good background textures, and which images would be the focal points of new pieces of art, and what would look best a teensy bit transparent against a background filled with mysterious handwriting or faded copies of etchings.

I began to collect things -- not that I wasn't an avid collector before this -- but now I had a purpose! I scoured everywhere for old photos, cabinet cards, letters, poetry, and books. I used books' end papers and outside covers as backgrounds. So many had beautiful patinas and I knew would be the perfect foil for other items.

Keys -- there are keys in many of my pieces -- and they are scÄnned from real keys. I collected keys, spectacles, gloves, stamps, sea glass, shells, coins, antique game pieces, and they all became part of my Working Scans files on my iMac. Yes, I am a loyal Macophile.

One of the most exciting collections I own and continue to build is the box of composition books I have bought on auction sites. I have books with the handwriting of 19th century schoolgirls, one which has that gorgeous script including the lyrics to all the popular songs of the day. Others include poems and sermons. I began buying diaries, but most of them are not romantic and dramatic, but rather list the activities of the day. I buy them anyway, because occasionally I find a forgotten letter or photo inside, and remember, the outside cover is often the best find of all!

Here are some glimpses inside the book...what a treasure!

Lynda

No comments: