Friday, August 10, 2007

Using collections artfully



I began using images from my collections -- scanning them and tweaking them when I chose, often simply using one as a background upon which to place another image. One of my collections is antique sheet music (remember, my first profession is as a singer/vocal music teacher). My mother and I were antiquing in Texas once, and we found a treasure-trove of old music with gorgeous covers. I chose one with a title something like "I love you 'cause your hair is curly!". I loved the title (Mother remembered the song) and the cover art.

Using "Curly" as my centerpiece, I modified an old page and book cover to use as a background, copied some old art-nouveau images as a border, and crowned the image with old keys (of course). The result was "Curly Sue with Keys".



I keep, like many artists, folders and boxes filled with the small things that "I might use one day". When that day came, I added bits and bobs clipped from paper napkins and fabric to a background made from the inside front cover of Nana's book. The textures seemed to move forward, toward my eyes, and I found that even what seems to be two-dimensional may fool the eye into thinking it has more depth! I chose another of the etchings of a nineteeth-century actress and used her image to complete "Teal Lynda". You see, I think she looks like me, the me of my memory, of my youthful face and body. I believe that much of our art is autobiographical in some way. Surely "Teal Lynda" is, for me, myself -- Lynda, Island Queen*.

One comment about my digital compositions: I use Photoshop Elements and an Apple computer. I am purposely not going into technical detail here about the use of the software, as there are those more qualified to do that. I'm largely self-taught, although Leslie Parsons taught me some tricks during her Art and Soul workshops. Thanks, Leslie. I'd suggest anyone interested in digital collage check out some of those classes, and/or some of the great books on the subject. Many titles are available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

My next topic will be "The artist's eye and looking through your own personal microscope"!

Lynda

*footnote: I became the Island Queen while living on Hilton Head Island, SC (someone has to do it!). A dear friend crowned me with that title, and I happily claim it. Thank you, AJ. The tiara fits.

2 comments:

kecia deveney said...

hi! thanks for the invitation to check out your blog. i have a blog too and i love it! it is such a great virtual diary. so much easier for me to keep up with instead of handwritten journaling (as writing is very hard on my hand). your work is very pretty! stop by and visit me soon!

Penny L Weaver said...

Lynda,
What beautiful work! Spending most of my 'real job' time on the computer, I tend to collage in the physical realm; but am in AWE of the gorgeous layering you have done with your digital creations! Lovely blog, too! Thanks for the invite!
- penny
Fayetteville, NC