Monday, November 26, 2007

Beauty in the eye...

...of the beholder is food for the artist.

Today I drove down a local street to run an errand, but the autumn leaves slowed me down -- they were practically glowing. The maples seemed achingly beautiful to me today, and as I listened to Bach on the radio and drank in all the orange and red of the trees, I truly thought I was going to have to pull off the road and cry. Instead, I ran my errand quickly and drove back again along the same road on the journey home. I wasn't disappointed.

Let me share a bit of autumn's glory -- not a maple, but a crepe myrtle in my own yard.

Arty note: notice that the leaves in the background seem a mosaic, a planned background that I could have painted before I put in the main subject. If I Photoshop this photo a bit more, the background will seem just that -- perhaps a watercolor. One more photo before I go -- this one I blurred intentionally as I took it, just to see if I could MAKE these colors into a watercolor-like background. Bingo!



Analyze all the colors and shapes of your photos. What seems to you to be "merely" a tree or some leaves in focus may magically transform itself before your eyes -- into something achingly beautiful.

Hope you all found some beauty today.

Lynda

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Lynda-lovely photo. Our crepe myrtles were beautiful this year, too, with gold and red leaves that I haven't seen from them before. I always have to stop and look at the leaves, it is nice to know someone else who can be moved to tears by color...